Sunday, February 25, 2007

Samba de gafieira

~You can also to listen to this entry here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiAS7poDUE0

(My accent is awful though...)

As I wrote down here before, I'm taking ballroom dance lessons for around 8 months. At the school we learn how to dance bolero, "soltinho" and samba. I love the three rhythms, but I can't deny that samba has a special magic. Oh no, it's not that samba that we use to watch on Carnival, when almost naked brown skinned girls dance wearing extravagant clothes. The rhythm that I dance is called "samba de gafieira" and you can't dance alone, but with a partner.

I had realised that guys really like this rhythm - they seem to get really cheerful when the teacher says: "Now, a bit of samba!" So I noticed that dancing it also makes me feel glad! Maybe it's because the rhythm is in our blood, is part of our roots, oh I don't know. But you can't feel sad while dancing samba - it fills your heart, your mind, your feelings. The "samba de gafieira" is both light and vigorous, both innocent and sensual. And if you really want to enjoy the dance, you can't be far from your partner - oh okay, it also is needed if you want to dance bolero, but samba...is different: you must allow that your partner body touch yours, you must be free from prejudice, proud or shyness. And if you do it, you'll feel that the rhythm beats as the same way as your own heart does, and if you get a good partner, it will be like being in paradise. You'll never forget. And you'll never wish to stop dancing. It's a unique experience. Everybody should try, I'm sure :)

...and I'm also sure that I'm a Brazilian girl, but if I had never danced "samba de gafieira", I would most probably not be a complete Brazilian girl ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home